Friday, November 16, 2007

The Journey Begins

If you're like me, you realized later in life how important a college education is. I have never had a problem finding a job after working 17 years as a restaurant manager. I left the industry only because I got burned out from the stress and the hours involved. It was affecting my health.
I took a job as a security supervisor at a local mall, where I worked for about 4 years. The mall was sold to an out of state group, who in their infinite wisdom, decided they had a better way to run the mall and let all of the employees go. Needless to say, there is nothing left at the mall. The last I heard they only had 4 full- time employees and one part-timer. Anyways, that was over a year ago.
I have spent the last 15 months trying to find a job. Yes there are jobs out there, but who can survive on minimum wage working 15 to 20 hours a week? The other obstacle is most employers now want the candidates to have a college degree. The hands-on experience I acquired doesn't seem to count for much.
After numerous hours of filling out applications, updating resumes, and a large number of interviews in which I was basically told I didn't qualify because i don't have a degree, I knew it was time to further my career.Now Where do I start?
This blog is dedicated to helping you start your education. I will try to help you decide on your career goals, what your major will be, applying for financial aid and more.

No comments: